Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

White blinking line when trying to boot Easy2Boot

Hi guys,

I'm trying to install Windows XP on this old mystery rig I got, its a Pentium 4 2.4ghz on a 96 motherboard with 1gb ram and a sapphire graphics card. after formatting my drive with easy2boot, when i boot from it, it gives me a flashing white line, and the sandisk cruzer drive is giving me the pulsing white light of "no information being transferred." I know that my settings are right, because my linux live boot usb worked flawlessly, but easy2boot is just refusing to boot. any clue what could be going on? also, i have tried the test on the computer to see if it boots okay, and it does 🙂

By flashing white line - do you mean a blinking white cursor  (underscore symbol) on a black screen?

What do you mean by  pulsing white light of "no information being transferred."  ? Do you mean it is continuously flashing - the LED indicates it is being accessed - information may or may not be transferred.

If the E2B drive legacy boots OK using QEMU_MENU_TEST.cmd under Windows and in other legacy PCs, then the issue is clearly with the old Pentium PC+USB drive combination. I would check the BIOS settings in the Pentium and make sure the USB drive is being booted as a USB HDD type of drive also put E2B on the USB drive that you know works with the Pentium PC.

1. yes, the flashing cursor on the black screen / console is what I'm seeing

2. white light was a typo, it's more of a yellow light, it blinks when it's being used actively and transferring data (when it booted from kali Linux live boot) but as soon as it starts to try to boot from USB it blinks for a second and then immediately goes to pulsing as if it gave up, so I know information is not being transferred

3. I genuinely don't think it's an incompatibility between my processor and my USB stick, as mentioned, this USB stick booted kali Linux perfectly, I would imagine that if Linux booted off the same USB stick, easy2boot would 🙂

what do you recommend?

New! Ventoy for Easy2Boot v1.0.97 now released!

eBooks available (in PDF format)

Easy-to-read eBooks are available in PDF format (each eBook is over 100 pages) – rated 4.5/5 stars.
Learn the secrets of Legacy and UEFI USB booting and then make your perfect multiboot USB drive.
E2B eBook #1 includes instructions on how to remove the E2B 5-second start-up delay blue screen.

E2B is unique in that it uses partition images which allows you to directly boot from Secure Boot images (no need to disable Secure Boot or run MOK manager or modify your UEFI BIOS).

Most eBooks are over 100 pages long, contain original content and step-by-step exercises which are suitable for both the beginner or the more experienced user.
Customer reviews are located at bottom of each eBook product page and multi-buy discounts are available when you buy more than one eBook. Please also visit RMPrepUSB.com and the E2B Forum.
Subscribe to my blog for the latest news, tips, USB boot articles and free eBook updates.