Update the XP 32-bit Mass Storage drivers
The version of the Mass Storage Driver Pack used in E2B can be found by looking at the \_ISO\e2b\grub\DriverPack.ini file (e.g. v.1.72+ has a modified version of MSD 1412115).
Note: Hardware manufacturers no longer support XP and so new chipsets do not have XP drivers available.
If you are installing XP to a modern system, you may find that the E2B+DPMS download does not contain the new driver that is required for your chipset. In this case you will need to update your E2B USB drive using the latest DriverPack Mass Storage XP 32-bit build (if available) as follows:
- Make an E2B+DPMS USB drive in the usual way
- Download a new build from here – go to Post #1 for the latest version and also the latest posts for the latest Beta build.
Here is the 1405176 May 2014 build download (old).
- Delete the \_ISO\e2b\grub\DPMS\D folder from your E2B drive
- Delete the \_ISO\e2b\grub\DPMS\DrivePack.ini file from your E2B drive
- Unzip the driverpack download to the \_ISO\e2b\grub\dpms folder – this should make a new \_ISO\e2b\grub\DPMS\D folder.
- Rename \_ISO\e2b\grub\DPMS\DriverPack_MassStorage_wnt5_x86-32.ini to DriverPack.ini
DPMS version 1412115 is here (2014-12-11).
E2B uses a bug-fixed version of this driver pack (DP_MassStorage_wnt5_x86-32_1412115.7z).
The latest ‘Nightly’ builds of driverpacks can be found near the last post on this forum thread.
Tip 1: the DPMS2 batch file in E2B parses the DriverPack.INI file to look for a matching PCI ID. You can edit the INI file to change which driver and folder is used for a particular PCI ID (if you know what you are doing!).
Tip 2: The E2B – Utilities menu has menu entries that can check if a suitable driver can be found in the DPMS Driverpack.ini file. Use one of the ‘List matching DriverPack.ini entries’ menu entries.
Refer to the XP Setup Stages Reference Guide here. The Alternate Downloads area contains an old Driver Pack that should work for Haswell Z87 systems (DPMS_Z87.zip) if the latest version in E2B does not work.