Sample .mnu Files
.mnu files are text files which contain grub4dos menu entries. They can be saved in UTF-8 format to preserve non-ASCII characters.
You will normally need to edit these sample files and move them to a different folder on your E2B USB drive.
Filenames with spaces
When a path or filename contains a space, you must precede each space character with \ (backslash) – example for “Ubuntu Boot CD 2014.iso”:
Ubuntu\ Boot\ CD\ 2014.iso
I tend to avoid spaces in payload filenames when using .mnu file for this reason!
Instructions on how to use these .mnu files can be found by opening them in Notepad and reading the instructions inside.
See ‘About .mnu files‘ for more information.
Below is a list of some of the .mnu files that can be found in the \_ISO\docs\Sample mnu Files folder. More may be added at a later date, so always check this folder for new examples!
For most of them, you simply copy it to a subfolder (e.g. \_ISO\MAINMENU\MNU) together with the ISO file.
Then edit the .mnu file in a text editor so that the filename matches that of the ISO file.
The file name of the .mnu file is not important – it can be any name and does not need to match the ISO or payload name (unless you have used $NAME$ in the .mnu file).
You can change the .mnu filename to change the order that they are listed in, in a menu.
Most of these are for use with specific ISOs, however if you edit the ISO filenames inside the .mnu file, then you should be able to use them with different versions of the same type of ISO. The Sample mnu Files folder also contains a few example .txt files as well as .mnu files. This is NOT a full list!
- $$$CPU_TYPE.mnu – display menu depending on if CPU is 32-bit or 64-bit
- $$$FASTLOAD_REFRESH.mnu – Adds the Fastload refresh menu item to the beginning of the Main menu
- $$AddWin2Main.mnu – example menu showing you how you can add individual Windows Install ISOs to the Main menu
- $$FixDate.mnu – Add this menu option to allow you to change the system date (useful if some payloads have an expiry date)
- $Boot_to_Disk_2.mnu – boot to hard disk 2 in your system
- $Panda_RestoreAutorun.inf_FAT_NTFS.mnu – unprotect AUTORUN.INF files on the E2B drive (AntiPanda)
- 64Bit_Auto_Detect_ISO.mnu – Example of how to run a 64-bit or 32-bit ISO depending on system CPU type E2B is booted from
- A_BlankMenuEntry.mnu – Adds a blank line to the menu – copy and rename it to add a blank line anywhere in any menu
- A_BlankMenuEntrySeparator.mnu – Adds 3 blank lines into a menu with a graphics character on the 2nd line
- Android_x86_Persistent – for android x86 ISOs with persistence
- Antix_13.2_Persistent – Antix with persistence
- AOSS.mnu – Alternative System Scanner and Tools menu file
- BIOS Detect and Run.mnu – Example of how to detect what system you are booting on by searching for BIOS strings and then boot to a specific ISO
- bitdefender-rescue-cd_persistence.mnu – boot from a bitdefender ISO with persistence
- BlueTheme.mnu – selects the ‘Blue’ theme template that is in the mythemes folder
- Boot from WIM file.mnu – experimental menu to boot via grub4dos to any image inside a .wim file
- Boot Windows direct from USB.mnu – if you have Windows To Go installed onto your E2B drive, you can boot to it using this .mnu file
- BT5R2-GNOME-32_persistence.mnu – boot from a BackTrack 5 ISO with persistence
- Change_Font.mnu – allows user to try different fonts (for English only)
- Change_Language.mnu – user can change the E2B language
- Change_Theme.mnu – all .cfg file in the mythemes folder are listed and the user can chose one
- Change_Wallpaper.mnu – all .gz compressed bitmap files are listed in the /_ISO folder and the user can pick one
- chkpci.mnu – adds various menu entries to display PCI IDs and check for DPMS drivers
- ClearUSBPartition3.mnu – wipes parttiion 3 of your USB drive (WARNING: No checking is performed – only use if partition 3 is unused)
- CloneZillaBackupRestoreHDD0.mnu – You can semi-automate backing up and restoring the 1st internal hard disk using a clonezilla ISO (for use use with a large E2B USB HDD)
- crunchbang-11-20130506-i686.txt – Example .txt file for crunchbang ISOs with help text to aid installing it to a hard disk
- Desinfect_2014_Persistent – Desinfect with persistent file system for storage of files, desktop items, etc (virus updates are NOT persistent)
- Desinfect_2014_with_Updates.mnu – Desinfect with persistent updates
- dft32_v416_b00_install.mnu – for Hitachi Drive Fitness Test
- DLCD_ISO_Extracted.mnu – For DLC version of Hirens
- Dos622.img.mnu – .mnu file for DOS622.img
- E2B_PTN_SWAP.mnu – for use with an E2B USB Flash drive where E2B is on the 2nd partition
- ERD5_DPMS.mnu – Use for XP-based recovery ISOs such as MSDart 5/2005 to run on SATA/RAID systems
- ERD5_FIRA.mnu – for ERDCommander2005.iso/MSDart 5.0 type XP ISOs, swaps hd0&1 and loads Firadisk driver (similar to just using .isomemf01 file extension)
- ERD2005.mnu – for ERDCommander2005.iso and MSDart 5.0 (or use .isomemF01 file extension)
- ESet System Rescue (WinPE Flat File).mnu – extract Eset System Rescue ISO and run it directly from your E2B drive
- Falcon4.6 (folder) – How to extract and run Falcon4’s version of Hirens Boot CD
- FD0-konboot-v1.1-2in1.mnu – how to add konboot – change the filename and it will work with Konboot 2.1 (XP Pro and Win 7 64-bit tested and works!)
- FD0-konboot-v2.4.mnu – for KonBoot v2.4 floppy image
- Fedora_Persistent.mnu – Run Fedora from an ISO with persistence
- FreeDos_fdbasecd.iso.mnu – Run fdbasecd.iso
- geexbox-3.0-i386.mnu – Run GeexBox with persistence
- Grub2_Boot.mnu – Boot to grub2 using /boot/grub/core.img
- GRUB_USB_046.mnu – Menu entries to switch to using grub4dos 0.4.6a and installing the USB driver (already in Main menu of standard E2B)
- hdt-0.5.0.img.mnu – Hardware Diagnostic Tool HDT hdt-0.5.0.img.gz
- HidePtn.mnu – can be used to hide any partition
- HirensBootCD_Extracted.mnu – Run HBCD from extracted files in \HBCD folder – gives full HBCD functionailty
- HirensISO.mnu – if you have hirens as an ISO, this allows you to run Konboot from it or miniXP (not required if you use extracted ISO)
- JustBrowsing_with_config.mnu – boot to JB with a persistent config file.
- kali-linux-1.0.2-i386_Persistent.mnu – Kali with persistence
- kali-linux-1.0.5-amd64_Persistent.mnu – Kali with persistence
- kali-linux-1.0.5-amd64.txt – .txt file for Kali (no persistence) with instructions on how to install to an internal HDD
- kali-linux-1.0.5-i386_Persistent.mnu – Kali with persistence
- kali-linux-1.0.7_Persistent.mnu – Kali v1.0.7 with persistence and/or LUKS encrypted persistence (32 + 64-bit)
- Kaspersky_Rescue_10_Persistent.mnu – with instructions on how to keep updates on the E2B drive
- linuxmint-16-cinnamon-dvd-32bit_Persistent.mnu – linux with persistence
- linuxmint-17-mate-32bit-v2_Persistent.mnu – matey persistence!
- lubuntu-13.04-desktop-i386_Persistent.mnu – lubuntu ISO with persistence
- lxle-1404-64_Persistent.mnu – run lxle with persistence
- mandriva-linux-PWP-2011-i586.mnu – Use this if you want to install mandriva (and not just run as a LiveCD)
- OphCrack.mnu – .mnu for Ophcrack (with instructions)
- OpenElec_LIVE_xxx.mnu – for OpeneElec 2103 & 2014 FAT32 or NTFS
- PassPassChenall.mnu – for use with Chenall’s version of PassPass (PassPass.bat)
- Password_Protect_64_32.mnu – examples of how to password protect a payload file
- pclinuxos-kde-fullmonty-2012.09.mnu – pclinuxos-kde-fullmonty-2012.09.iso with persistence
- Porteus-generic-persistent.mnu – generic menu for most Porteus ISOs with persistence
- Porteus-v1.1-i486_Persistent.mnu – porteus with persistence
- Porteus-v2.0-i486_Persistent.mnu – porteus with persistence
- POS2009_ReadMe.txt – Instructions on how to add Microsoft POS2009 Installer to E2B
- ProxMox.mnu – adds user instructions required to boot from ProxMox ISO
- PTN_LOG1_AUTO.mnu – user can run payload files from a folder on a logical partition of the E2B USB drive
- PTN2_AUTO.mnu – similar to PTN2_MNU but for an AUTO folder which does not support .mnu files and can have multiple sub-folders.
- PTN2_MNU.mnu – If you have a \_ISO folder containing payload files on the 2nd partition of your E2B drive, this menu will allow you to run any of them (not for Windows Install ISOs) – Please note: There was a bug in this file in versions before E2B v1.70!!!
- Puppy_Precise_USB_Flash_Persistence.mnu – Puppy with persistence if E2B is on a Flash drive
- Puppy_Precise_USB_HDD_Persistence.mnu – Puppy with persistence if E2B is on a USB HDD
- Puppy_Slacko64_no_partnew.mnu – Slacko using extracted files (not an ISO)
- ReactOS-LiveCD.mnu – ReactOS must be extracted to the E2B drive – instructions inside this file.
- ReadMe.txt – guess what!
- RedHat.mnu – Boot from a RedHat Install ISO and install RedHat to an internal hard disk (needs FAT32 partition on E2B drive)
- RedHat_NTFS.mnu – Boot from a RedHat Install ISO and install RedHat to an internal hard disk (NTFS/ext2/FAT32 partition)
- SimplyMEPIS-1.5G_11.9.86_32.mnu – for SimplyMEPIS-1.5G_11.9.86_32.iso
- Slax7.0.8_32_persistent.mnu – slax708_32/01-core.sb with persistence (read instructions)
- StartOS-5.1-LiveCD-i686_Persistent.mnu – StartOS-5.1-LiveCD-i686.iso with persistence
- StartOS_Persistent.mnu – startos-5.0-20120808.iso with persistence
- Tails_for_USB_HDD_persistent.mnu – to run Tails from a USB HDD with persistence
- TimeFileAccess.mnu – runs E2B’s TimeAccess.g4b script to measure file access (not read/write) speed
- True_Hide_Unhide.mnu – shows how to truly hide partitions from an OS
- UBCD4WINBuilder.mnu – use .isomemfira or this .mnu for UBCDWin ISOs
- ubuntu-13.04-desktop-amd64_Persistent.mnu – ubuntu ISO with persistence
- ubuntu-13.04-desktop-i386_Persistent.mnu – ubuntu ISO with persistence
- Ubuntu12.10_Persistent.mnu – ubuntu ISO with persistence
- Win7_8_Install_Auto64_32.mnu – picks 32-bit or 64-bit Win install ISO depending on CPU type
- Win_Vista_7_2K8R2_Direct.mnu – add a menu entry for a specific Windows install ISO – no user questions
- Win_Win8_Install_Auto64_32.mnu – auto-detects if system is 32 or 64-bit and picks 32/64-bit ISO accordingly
- Win7PESE.ini – example ini file for booting WinPEs made with WinBuilder – see this below for more info about WinBuilder PE ISOs.
- WinBuilderPE_ISO.mnu – if only one WinBuilder PE ISO, use this menu
- Windows_8.1_EN-US_x86_PWD.txt – text file to password protect a \_ISO\WINDOWS\WIN8\xxx.iso installation file
- xbmcbuntu_12.2_Persist.mnu – run xbmcbuntu with persistence from your E2B drive
- Xiaopan_PersistentNTFS.mnu – Xiaopan ISO with persistence
- XP_Inst_from_MainMenu.mnu – Add an Install XP optiion to the Main menu
- XP_Recovery_Console_VHD.mnu – boot the recovery console from a VHD file containing \cmldr and cmdcons
- YLMF_OS_3.0_Persistent.mnu – run YLMF with persistence (now outdated by StartOS)
- Zorin-os-8.1-core-32-persistent.mnu – Zorin with persistence
- Zorin-os-8.1-core-64-persistent.mnu– Zorin with persistence