Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Nee Help to Boot a Bitlocker enabled VHD

Hello Easy2Boot community,

i created with WinToUsb a USB boot stick from a final installed Windows (from my Hardisk) and copy the from this USB stick the WinToUSB.vhd to the E2B Stick
”_ISO\VHD\”

I can boot this VHD file with Easy2Boot without any problems and all worked fine.

But if i create with WinToUsb a USB boot and Bitlocker is enabled and copy WinToUSB.vhd to “_ISO\VHD\”

Easy2Boot can’t boot it and the windows bootmanager raised an exception

File: \Windows\System32\boot\winload.efi
Info: The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing…

Does somebody has any idea how can I boot a final installed Windows in WinToUSB.vhd with enabled Bitlocker?

Thanks for your help and greetings
Klaus

The VHD will be encrypted.

Are you UEFI-booting to the agFM menu system?  \_ISO\VHD cannot be accessed from the Legacy E2B menu system (unless you have used a special .mnu file)?

Since the error message is File: \Windows\System32\boot\winload.efi, I assume that you are UEFI64 booting to agFM.

The first thing to realise is that when creating a VHD using Win2USB, you must complete the installation fully (after several reboots) before you copy the VHD file - otherwise you will get a BSOD.

Secondly, with WinToGo+BitLocker you will have to boot on a TPM system and enter the key\password every time.

I have not tried this, but I would first build an 'MBR for BIOS and UEFI' WinToUSB drive and fully install Windows with all reboots.
Your E2B USB drive will also need 3 primary partitions (E2B,agFM,new large NTFS for VHD file).

1. Connect it to a Windows system and assign a drive letter to the WinToUSB FAT system partition (e.g. using DISKPART).
  2. Drag-and-drop the new volume drive icon in Explorer onto the MPI_FAT32 Desktop shortcut (needs MPI Tool Kit).
  3. Copy new .imgPTN file to E2B USB drive and give it .imgPTN23 file extension
  4. Copy the VHD file to Partition 3 of your E2B USB drive (ptn3 will need to be NTFS)
  5. UEFI-boot from E2B drive and switch in new .imgPTN23 file
  6. Now connect back to Windows system again and use BootIce to edit the BCD in the FAT Partition 1 and point it to the VHD file on partition 3.
  7. Now try UEFI-booting from the E2B drive Partition 1.

To restore the E2B partition 1, boot to Partition 2 and use the Restore E2B option in the agFM menu.

An alternative method is to name the .imgPTN file  .imgPTNREP3 (must be on ptn3) instead and keep the VHD file on Partition 1. This will cause Ptn3 to be replaced instead of Ptn1.

HTH

Steve

Hello steve,

i hope you understand my english 🙂

Im wrote that i can boot all vhd's without bitlocker fine, but when bitlocker is enabled in the vhd E2B cant boot.

"Are you UEFI-booting to the agFM menu system"

--> I boot from laptop 1 (uefi and only supports uefi .. it's a new dell) to agFm menu and on laptop 2 (legacy) to agFm menu system
but result is the same.

Back then i installed E2B and nothing VHD files are listed in the agFM menu 🙁 and so i installed velocity vhd plugin and
all vhd's listet automatically in the agFm boot menu.
So i think i boot with velocity vhd plugin.

I don't have create a special .mnu file because i have no ideo how can i create it.

Must i create a special .mnu file and better disable the velocity vhd plugin?
Have you successfully boot to bitlocker enabled vhd's?

What is velocity vhd plugin?

Do you mean you installed the Ventoy VHD plugin and then loaded the Ventoy menu?

Sorry yes i mean the ventoy plugin and no i think the E2B boot to the agFM menu.
After i installed the ventoy vhd plugin all vhd's listed in the agFM menu. (or is it not the agFM Menu?)

Start Boot Screen

https://ibb.co/vwVcs3Y

aFM Menu

https://ibb.co/9wbzmDf

agFM Menu with listed WinToUsb.VHD

https://ibb.co/ZfRWwcz

New! Ventoy for Easy2Boot v1.0.97 now released!

eBooks available (in PDF format)

Easy-to-read eBooks are available in PDF format (each eBook is over 100 pages) – rated 4.5/5 stars.
Learn the secrets of Legacy and UEFI USB booting and then make your perfect multiboot USB drive.
E2B eBook #1 includes instructions on how to remove the E2B 5-second start-up delay blue screen.

E2B is unique in that it uses partition images which allows you to directly boot from Secure Boot images (no need to disable Secure Boot or run MOK manager or modify your UEFI BIOS).

Most eBooks are over 100 pages long, contain original content and step-by-step exercises which are suitable for both the beginner or the more experienced user.
Customer reviews are located at bottom of each eBook product page and multi-buy discounts are available when you buy more than one eBook. Please also visit RMPrepUSB.com and the E2B Forum.
Subscribe to my blog for the latest news, tips, USB boot articles and free eBook updates.