Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

agFM on a separate drive?

I have a "legacy" E2B USB with NTFS+FAT Data+FAT BIOS partitions, which means it can't UEFI boot and I can't easily add that either (I think?)

So I thought about adding agFM to a separate stick, so I can use them in combination, but agFM always seems to crash at boot looking for a nonexistent file :/

You can extract and add the agFM files to the FAT32 Data partition which should be Partition 2. Then you can UEFI-boot from Partition 2.

As for a seperate stick, the agFM files assume they are on Partition 2 (FAT32) and that the payload files are on Partition 1 (NTFS) which has the E2B menu folders on it.

Since I don't know how you made the 2nd separate stick and dont know what the 'crash' looks like or what messages you see, I cant help much with that.

Or - Why not just remake the whole E2B drive and use the Gear Wheel button so you can specify the first three partitions. Then Partition 1 will be NTFS, Partition 2 can be FAT32 (with agFM and your data) and Partition 3 can be anything you like?

I just drafted an elaborate response which this forum silently discarded. Wow.

The second stick is unrelated to E2B, I just created an EFI partition on it with agFM. I wanted to avoid recreating my stick as I am on the go. I thought maybe agFM would be able to load payloads from other partitions without requiring partition 1 in place.

If partition 3 is anything I like, wouldn't I sacrifice legacy BIOS botting? That wouldn't work as I also use my E2B stick to salvage old laptops with Zorin OS Lite 😉

Not quite sure what you mean? I said 'You can extract and add the agFM files to the FAT32 Data partition which should be Partition 2. Then you can UEFI-boot from Partition 2.'

UEFI-booting merely requires a FAT partition and the correct EFI boot file (e.g. \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI for a x86 UEFI64 system). UEFI-booting does not require any special 'EFI partition' (whatever that is - ESP?) or a GPT partitioned drive.

You already have a FAT Partition 2 on the E2B USB drive, so just extract the agFM download files directly to the root of that volume. Then you can legacy boot from the USB drive or UEFI-boot from Partition 2 of the USB drive (by using the BIOS Boot Selection menu hotkey - e.g. F8 or F12, etc. depending on BIOS type).

New! Ventoy for Easy2Boot v1.0.97 now released!

eBooks available (in PDF format)

Easy-to-read eBooks are available in PDF format (each eBook is over 100 pages) – rated 4.5/5 stars.
Learn the secrets of Legacy and UEFI USB booting and then make your perfect multiboot USB drive.
E2B eBook #1 includes instructions on how to remove the E2B 5-second start-up delay blue screen.

E2B is unique in that it uses partition images which allows you to directly boot from Secure Boot images (no need to disable Secure Boot or run MOK manager or modify your UEFI BIOS).

Most eBooks are over 100 pages long, contain original content and step-by-step exercises which are suitable for both the beginner or the more experienced user.
Customer reviews are located at bottom of each eBook product page and multi-buy discounts are available when you buy more than one eBook. Please also visit RMPrepUSB.com and the E2B Forum.
Subscribe to my blog for the latest news, tips, USB boot articles and free eBook updates.