Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Ubuntu\XUbuntu legacy boot issues

The latest versions 24.04 seem to have a bug if you boot them as an ISO file and using the easy2boot\partnew technique which makes a Type 0  Partition 4 on the E2B USB drive for the ISO. The Linux filesystem handler in these latest versions don't seem to like this partition and throws up an error! As a result you cannot simply boot to e2b, select the ISO and install Ubuntu.

agFM UEFI also causes the same Linux error condition if you use the partnew boot option or Ubuntu boot option.

E2B version 2.21 BETA is available which allows you to use an alternate method of booting the ISO. This uses the 'isoboot' method and it can be invoked by selecting the Linux ISO file in the E2B menu system and pressing the SHIFT key before you press the ENTER key to boot to the ISO file. An alternative and better solution is to use the  _.isoboot.iso file extension.

BOX: https://app.box.com/s/3n1wulgrn9ay3lqwvesnfzqerl83jwi6

ONEDRIVE: Latest Betas

P.S. For MakePartImage .imgPTN23 images with Ubuntu-based ISOs, use the latest 106 version of MakePartImage as this also has a legacy boot issue (cannot legacy boot from CSM menu at all!).

would you please do a video to show us how to do so ?
I already download V2.21 BETA , create Bootable FLASH with ubuntu 24.04 ISO , then boot from flash , press shift before I hit enter every single time , but it's still not be able to install ubuntu 24.04.

and also , how to "use the _.isoboot.iso file extension." ??

When you use the SHIFT key, you must hold it down and then press and release another key.

For instance, on a computer keyboard, if you want to type a capital letter A, you must do this in NotePad

1. Press and hold down the SHIFT key
  2. Press and release the A key - the letter A will be displayed
  3. Release the SHIFT key

The SHIFT key is a modifier key

So when using e2b, you do this:

1. Use the cursor keys to highlight your ISO file
  2. Press and hold down the SHIFT key
  3. Press and release the ENTER key to select your ISO file
  4. Release the SHIFT key

you also asked 'how to "use the _.isoboot.iso file extension." ??'

well with computer operating systems, they store data in logical objects called FILES with names such as UBUNTU.ISO

Typically a file can have a FILENAME e.g. UBUNTU and the file can have an extension such as ISO

Now E2B can recognise special file name suffixes and also special file extensions

So, to run this UBUNTU.ISO using E2B's special isoboot process you can do it in several ways

1. Hold down the SHIFT key and then press the ENTER key to run the selected ISO file using isoboot
  2. Simply rename the FILE EXTENSION from UBUNTU.ISO to UBUNTU.ISOBOOT
  3. Simply rename the FILENAME from UBUNTU to UBUNTU_.isoboot - thus the full file name will be UBUNTU_.isoboot.ISO

HTH

Steve

Simply rename the FILE EXTENSION from UBUNTU.ISO to UBUNTU.ISOBOOT

But I can not see this file in agFM Menu

isoboot is only supported in the E2B menu system

If using agFM, try the other options.

You can use Ubuntu_.isoboot.iso  and then the file will be booted as isoboot in e2b menu system, but as .iso with options in agFM menu system and also you can use Ventoy menu system

Are you legacy booting or UEFI booting? If so try .isoloop option in agFM?

E2B menu system is only for legacy booting.

After several tests, I still can't install Ubuntu 24.04 properly using Ubuntu_.isoboot.iso. The steps are as follows:

video1

Although I can enter the Ubuntu installation screen, an error occurs shortly after. Even if I ignore the error message and continue clicking next, the installation will stop when it's supposed to choose the hard drive, as shown in the following video:

video2

The only options that work for me are "Boot ISO (loopback.cfg) [.isoloop]" or using easy2boot to boot and then using ventoy to load the ISO for installation.

I don't know the difference between .isoloop and other options. Maybe I can fix it from here? It seems like Ubuntu won't fix this issue.

As I said, isoboot option only works in the E2B menu system not the agFM menu system.

.isoloop uses the  loopback.cfg file inside the ISO (if one exists) to boot the ISO. This does not create a partition containing the ISO contents but instead causes grub2 to mount the ISO file as a loop device.

It seems to be a bug in Ubuntu.

Multi-buy discount 10%

eBooks (in PDF format)

Easy-to-read eBooks are available in PDF format (each eBook is over 100 pages) – rated 4.5/5 stars.
Learn the secrets of Legacy and UEFI USB booting and then make your perfect multiboot USB drive.
E2B eBook #1 includes instructions on how to remove the E2B 5-second start-up delay blue screen.

E2B is unique in that it uses partition images which allows you to directly boot from Secure Boot images (no need to disable Secure Boot or run MOK manager or modify your UEFI BIOS).

Most eBooks are over 100 pages long, contain original content (not AI generated!) and step-by-step exercises which are suitable for both the beginner or the more experienced user.
Customer reviews are located at bottom of each eBook product page and multi-buy discounts are available when you buy more than one eBook. Please also visit RMPrepUSB.com and the E2B Forum.
Subscribe to my blog for the latest news, tips, USB boot articles and free eBook updates.